Henry Jenkins Article
I read this article and found it informative and an easy read. I understood the text clearly and what the author was trying to convey. I do not agree with the author but realized the point he was trying to make. The author seems to think that there is no risk to myspace users especially teenagers. I disagree because there is a risk of sexual solicitation as well as teen reputations being exploited.
That is my main concern is that teens are posting inappropriate pictures that could result in reputations being ruined in future years. It is important to realize that pictures on the internet are permanent and any employer can goggle and find those pictures. So something a teen did 10-15 years ago could come back to haunt them. Also, sexual predators will attack teen websites to solicit them for sex. If you have teen that enacts in these behaviors myspace can be a very dangers space for them to be on. In understand the argument that myspace is a teen space where they can define themselves. This is true if only they aren’t on the website all day long, putting appropriate pictures, and not talking to strangers. I also agree that government funded institutions should restrict access to myspace . I don’t see the website as a learning tool or even appropriate to access in these spaces. I think myspace is recreational and if you want to access it at home that is up to the individual.
The author gave valuable points at the end of the article that will help parents talk to their children about these websites. I truly believe having an open conversation with your children will only help them realize the risks of the Internet. Overall, I liked the information put forth in the article but did not like the justification of the author. I found them weak and incoherent to what teens actually do on these sites. I could relate this article to Prensky and how teens are digital natives. The computer is their personal space and they define themselves on myspace.
Friday, April 25, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
You make a strong critique here but I want to hear you explain more thoroughly about what the author is taking up here. What are his major claims and how do they connect to other authors we have read?
Post a Comment